How Do I Find out Which iwi/hapū has an Interest in the Area and/or Proposed activity?

Local authorities are required to keep and maintain records about iwi authorities and groups that represent hapū within their region or district for the purposes of the RMA (s35A). As a starting point, Te Puni Kōkiri has developed a national web-based database that provides information on the iwi authorities within each region and district and the areas over which one or more iwi exercise kaitiakitanga.

In addition to the information provided by Te Puni Kōkiri, local authorities are likely to hold more specific information on iwi and hapū groups within their district or region. This information may include contact details and areas of kaitiaki responsibility for iwi/hapū groups or mandated representatives, officers, or preferred service providers with the capacity and expertise to prepare CIAs.